Tuesday, January 17, 2012

silly bugger with #s: consumers

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-01/uocp-hd3011712.php

D - I locked myself out of my livejournal account.
Unless I can find the password.
It was linked to my old Hotmail account, which I shut down.

In the case of the cake, most people perceive "28 minutes" to be more precise and therefore more reliable than "half an hour," which sounds a bit like rounding and could presumably mean a few minutes more or less. This observation has important implications for how consumers interpret quantitative information.

"Consumers perceive products as more likely to deliver on their promises when the promise is described in fine-grained rather than coarse terms and choose accordingly," the authors conclude. For example, "one year" and "12 months" refer to the same amount of time, but leave different impressions.

In one study, participants chose between GPS units: one was described as lasting "up to two hours" and another, which was heavier and more expensive, "up to three hours." "When the units' battery life was described in hours, only 26 percent picked the 'up to two hours' unit—they were concerned it might run out of power prematurely," the authors write. "But when the battery was described as 'up to 120 minutes,' more than twice as many consumers (57 percent) were happy to pick the same unit."

D - I wonder if a naming convention that always derives from a single unit would affect this? I.e. 100 minutes maybe being a deca-minute instead of a 'metric hour'.
I have settled on days and years as the only truly natural time units for humans.

No comments: