Friday, April 6, 2012

chinese in Firefly's Serenity movie by Whedon



http://www.browncoats.com/index.php?ContentID=42e83b412a309

D - great site! I must watched that movie a dozen times. Love it!
LOL and watched the series 5x, including with commentary. Something I'd suggest to fans is to change the screen format to zoom in on faces. This changes your favorite show to a less theatrical-distant feel to a more intimate-upclose-Hollywood one. It's like watching your fave show for the first time all over again.

Serenity Movie

TEACHER: "BAI-tuo, AN-jing-eedyen!" [Bai4tuo1, an1jing4 yi1dian3!] ~ "We will enjoy your silence now!" [Please be quiet!]

MAL: "DONG-luh-MAH?" Ni cho lyen, yo may yo? [Dong3 le5 ma5? Ni3 chou2lian3, you3 mei2you3?] ~ "Are we clear here?" Do you have a worried face?

WASH: "Ai-yah. Tyen-ah..." [Ai1ya1. Tian1 a5 . . .] ~ "Merciless hell..." [Ah, oh God . . .]

ZOE: Da jee-ah tzwo sha! [Da4jia1 zuo4xia5!] ~ Everybody sit down!

MAL: "Nee TZAO ss-MA? Nee-YOW wuh-KAI CHANG?" [Ni3 zhao3si3 ma5? Ni3 yao4 wo3 kai1qiang1?] ~ "You wanna bullet? You wanna bullet right through your throat?" [Are you looking to die? You want me to shoot?]

[BEAUMONDE] MAN, partially cut: "PEOW-liang de shaojie, nee GOO wuo HUHnee SHANG-hao. Wuh HWAY wrongnee shungkai roo hua..." [Piao4liang5 de5 xiao3jie5, (ni3 gu4 wo3 he2 ni3 xiang1hao3. Wo3 hui4 rong2 ni3 sheng4kai1 ru2 hua1) . . .] ~ "Pretty lady, hire me for the night and I'll open you like a flower..." [Beautiful young lady, if you hire me to have an affair with you, I'll let you fully bloom like a flower]

SHAMED GENTLEMAN: Wuo hun {diou lyen}. Wuo may yo chr Fruity Oaty Bar. [Wo3 hen3 {diu1lian3}. Wo3 mei2you3 chi1 Fruity Oaty Bar.] ~ I am very ashamed. I didn't eat a Fruity Oaty Bar.

Thanks to Craig Kurumada for the translation suggestion.

SIMON, Russian not Chinese: "Eta Kooram Nah Smech!" [Eto kuram na smekh!] ~ That's ridiculous! [used as safeword]

JAYNE: "Go HWONG-TONG." [Gou4 huang1tang2.] ~ "Enough of this nonsense."

WASH, mostly inaudible: "Juhguh JEE HUA jun kuhPAH!" [Zhe4ge5 ji4hua4 zhen1 ke3pa4!] ~ "There's nothing about this plan that isn't horrific!" [This plan is truly horrible!]

RIVER: "RUNtse de SHANG-DEE, ching DAIwuhtzo" [Ren2ci2 de5 Shang4di4, qing3 dai4 wo3 zou3] ~ "Merciful God please take me away"

RIVER: "WUOshang mayer, maysheen, BYEN shr-to" [Wo3 xiang3 mei4 er3, mei4 xin1, bian4 shi2tou5] ~ "I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"

TEACHER, cut line: "Shuh-MUH?" [Shen2me5?] ~ "I'm sorry?"

MAL, cut line: "BEE-tzway. Wrong wuomun FAH-TSAI." [Bi4zui3. Rong2 wo3men5 fa1cai2.] ~ "Shut up and make us wealthy."

INARA, deleted scene on DVD: "Byen dahTAHmenduhBAY joGOluh." [Bian1da3 ta1men5 de5 bei4 jiu4 gou4 le5.] ~ "A switch to those girls' backsides is just good enough." [Whipping their [female] backs is just good enough.]

[BEAUMONDE] WOMAN, cut line: "Wuo DWAY-nee BOO-woon, boo-JEN..." [Wo3 dui4 ni3 bu4 wen2 bu4 jian4 . . .] ~ "I neither see nor hear you..."

[BEAUMONDE] MAN, cut line: "PEOW-liang de shaojie, Booleetah, GOOwo..." [Piao4liang5 de5 xiao3jie5, bu4li3 ta1, gu4 wo3 . . .] ~ "Pretty lady, forget him and hire me..."

WASH, cut line: "Wo TAI-TAI boo PEOW-liang!" [Wo3 tai4tai5 bu4 piao4liang5!] ~ "My wife is not pretty!"

INARA, cut line: "RUNtse de FWOtzoo, ching baoYO wuomun..." [Ren2ci2 de5 Fo2zu3, qing3 bao3you4 wo3men5 . . .] ~ "Oh merciful Buddha protect us..."

------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QKFCyGhrYc

D - bonus - an unaired original show monologue. Glad they got rid of it - just waiting for that '80s A-team song to kick in at the end! <:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jAePQzdXGg
D - funny reference in Big Bang Theory.

No comments: